Thursday, June 11, 2009

The right to grieve for 24 hours-Part 2

so cool rite the title...hehe...

anyways...i found out on Monday that my Associate manager cum my work mentor is leaving my company by early July. I didn't know how to react when the news broke in the morning...i was geared up for a good Monday and that day when i walked past his desk, he called me and asked me if i had stored all the required informations for the 2 projects that i was assisting him in. I looked at him really annoyed cos i know i did my job and he's now like nagging me (he wasn't naggy, i just felt like he was.hahaha) and i told him i did everything he told me to do. Then he said 'Ok, good. Just checking cos you would need to burn these into CDs. I am transferring my projects out.' Again i looked at him funny cos no projects means no work so why in the world would he want to free himself like that. 1st thing to my mind was 'Are you leaving?' and eventually he admitted that he is. I coudln't believe my ears. I din't cry and wail but i just stood there kinda proud of myself that i got the answer right...like hitting the bull's eye...yeah! but many thoughts came thru my mind as well so i stood there speechless. He had been such a great example of a worker and supervisor and a leader.
I learnt a lot from him. I learnt how to manage people from him and watched how he managed the monkeys from India team (he came up with that term, not me). i learnt to prioritize and stick to your decision. He said its not easy but people will respect you for that. And he said nothing is urgent. Everything is important but nothing is urgent (besides life and death lar...talking about work). Whenever i feel stressed, i should take 10 mins break and go out for a walk.
Sigh...i know no one stays in the company forever. But it is to the company's loss when he leaves. And nothing the company could do to make him stay unless they change the HQ to Singapore. Anyways, he has a dream and path that he wants to be on. So, just have to let him go.

I wish you all the best Roshan P. and thank you for taking me under your wings and mentoring me.

No comments: